I dyed some Knitpicks bulky yarn at the Eastside Spinners dye day a few months ago.  It didn’t turn out the way I anticipated – the red washed out to become a kind of bright magenta – but it’s not bad.  I started out making a Pinwheel Blanket.  After finishing the first ball,  I realized I wouldn’t have enough yarn to make it a reasonable size, and I didn’t want to buy coordinating  yarn to go with it to make it bigger.  Then I thought about making a child’s Pinwheel Sweater but again I wasn’t sure I’d have enough yarn, and I didn’t want to mess about adjusting stitch and row counts to take into account the bulky weight yarn.

So, I settled on my fallback project when I have hand dyed wool – longies.  First, I attempted to make approximately medium-sized longies, but this resulted in absolutely hideous pooling/flashing:

 

 

I kept thinking it would stop on the next row… or the next one… or the next… but finally reconciled myself to the fact that it wasn’t going to change, so I ripped it out.

This time, I decided to go with a size small – if I have extra yarn I can always make a matching hat.

I’m much happier with the outcome this time, although it is tending toward a bit wider stripes than I would like now that I’m in the stockinette portion.  Oh well – it’s not awful, and I am really enjoying the colors :)

Advertisements