You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘gift’ category.
I made this little soaker sack last week to use up some Three Irish Girls Peregrine Merino that I had lying around. The variegated color is Rhiannon, the green trim is Dolan. This yarn is from when 3IG was still called Irish Baby Knits, so I think the colorway is a little bit different now.
It still needs the drawstring, but I’m making a little hat with the leftover yarn first and then whatever is still left after that I will use for the drawstring.
This thing is STURDY. It’ll be bulletproof!
Here’s the start of the hat. Baby heads are tiny!
I’m working on a few things at the moment, all with the Three Irish Girls Carys BFL I got last week. I love this yarn. Sharon at 3IG helped me pick colors that coordinate well together, so I ended up with Maureen (pink/purple/brown) and Megan (pink), and Isla (green/purple/brown) and Isla Purple (uh.. purple). The Megan also works really well with the Nora on Springvale that I used for a baby sweater, and the Isla Purple goes passably well with the Maureen. Sharon gives excellent color advice and she is really great to work with!
Both projects are giving me problems, mostly because instead of using one pattern I am just putting together bits and pieces from lots of different ones. This post is very photo-heavy, although they are mostly all WIPs.
Read the rest of this entry »
I had a skein of some rather shockingly bright yarn hanging around, it was the December selection from the Three Irish Girls YOTM club. I have to admit I thought it would be a bit more muted when I chose it, but I actually rather liked it when it arrived.
(This is not quite as bright as it is in real life!)
I knew it would take a special project to pull off this level of brightness so when I learned that a friend is expecting a baby this September I came up with just the thing. I have been wanting to try out Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ) pattern for quite some time now, but haven’t had any babies to knit for, nor have I had the right yarn. However, it turns out that using this Lancelot sport/DK weight yarn with size 3 needles produces just the right gauge to knit the BSJ pattern in a 3-6 month size – perfect for a September baby. I still have to sew the shoulder seams and add buttons, but for the most part it is finished. It’s a fascinating pattern and I cannot wait to make more.
Decreases (it’s a straight line, I promise!)
Nearly finished, blob-like sweater (see my lifeline? I stuck that in there in case I ran out of yarn, so I could take out the five ridges of lengthening stitches easily).
Unseamed and unblocked – but still adorable! This yarn really works in this pattern, I think; there was not a ton of pooling thank goodness.
Leftover yarn – not much! I was getting a bit panicked toward the end; I only did 5 ridges of “lengthening” stitches to conserve yarn, and I’m glad I did. I should have enough to seam the shoulders, sew down buttons and possibly crochet an edging around the sweater.
I knitted this hat for a swap I am doing on Livejournal. I hope my swap partner likes it. Right now I just need to weave in the ends, and then block it. I also need to decide if I want it to have a pompom or not.
What do you think?
(Pardon the bad photo – it’s January in Washington).
Here is another Esther Williams hat. I had been meaning to look up Esther Williams and try to figure out why this hat is called after her, but I found out why at my knitting group on Wednesday so now I don’t even have to look it up! Apparently she is a competitive swimmer of some sort (so she wears swim caps), and someone thought Laura’s prototype looked like a swim cap. Aha!
Again, this has no crochet edging yet. I might try to add it, though. I used Mission Falls 1824 superwash wool. It’s really soft and squishy but I actually don’t like it all that much. I suspect it would be better with a larger needle (I used a 6, recommended is 8), but mostly it just feels super processed. Which it is, of course, but still. Also, it was really incredibly splitty, especially the few times I had to rip a bit and re-do.
I did make a modification to the pattern, due solely to not paying attention at my knitting group! Instead of doing three full repeats and then starting the decreases (per the pattern) or four full repeats and then starting decreases (as I did on my last version of this hat, to make it longer), I did one and a half repeats and then started the decreases. I had to slightly reposition the decreases to take this into account. Basically, I forgot to keep track of how much I had done so I did not start the decreases when I meant to, and once I had gotten that far I didn’t want to rip it back out.. but I thought four full decreases would be too long.
Anyway, I really like this pattern still and think it makes a fabulously warm and cosy hat. This one is also a Christmas gift but I might make one for myself sometime… with some really nice wool.